Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Quinoa Chocolate Cake

It's about time I made this cake!!  I've had it three times already...always made by someone else...and conveniently found in one of my favourite cookbooks that I've promoted on here many times...Quinoa 365!

The first thing I love about this cake is that it doesn't take quinoa flour, or any other inconvenient ingredients...you actually use quinoa that's already cooked...leftover from another meal...just waiting to be used for cake:)  I made it for a BBQ we had on the weekend...and also made a quinoa salad to add to the table...which is actually a great idea cause you just make an extra big batch of quinoa, take enough out for the cake...and turn the rest into salad!

The second thing I love is how simple it is!  I actually did the entire thing in my food processor!  A high speed blender will work great too...just dump all the ingredients in and go.  Make sure you really really puree it...you want the texture of the quinoa gone.

The cookbook suggests making the cake into two separate pans so you can layer the middle with jam or something.  This works, but will result in two very thin layers.  I made mine all in one pan.  If you were wanting the two layers I would recommend making a double batch, baking them in separate pans that way.  I decided last minute to swirl melted peanut butter into mine right before baking...HIGHLY recommend this!  I wish I would have taken the time to also make a fresh strawberry sauce to drizzle over top...oh well, next time!

(I have since made it many times with pure peanut butter frosted on the top...always a hit!)

This cake is amazing...moist...rich...not too sweet...and incredibly healthy!  Make it this weekend for some special friends:)

Like so often...I completely forgot to take a picture of the cake...so here's what the very last sliver looked like that I stashed into our freezer...you can kinda tell that it's frozen in the photo...oops!  I think it just might be dessert for me tonight!

Disclaimer...serve this cake in much larger slices than the photo shows!

QUINOA CHOCOLATE CAKE

2 cups cooked quinoa
1/3 cup milk...I used almond
4 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup melted butter or melted coconut oil
1 1/2 cups maple syrup or coconut sugar (syrup will make it more moist which is great...and make it easier to blend...the batter will be very very thick if you're using a dry sugar)
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease an 8 inch round or square pan.

Combine the milk, eggs and vanilla in a blender or food processor.  Add the quinoa and butter and continue to blend until smooth.

Whisk the remaining ingredients together in a large bowl.  Add the contents of the blender and mix well.  Pour into the pan...don't be alarmed by how thick it is.  I tried using only 1 cup of coconut sugar...and found it a little bitter...so I'd recommend the full 1 1/2 cups of sugar, unless you're making a sweet sauce to drizzle over top.

Bake for 50-60 minutes...checking often.  Cake is cooked when inserted toothpick comes out clean.   This won't taste good under or over baked:)

No comments:

Post a Comment